Department: Corrections Job Title: Corrections Officer
Classification: Non-Exempt Office Hours: Various
Starting Salary: $13.65 Total Hours: Full-Time
This is a line of staff level position, responsible to the Assistant Shift Commander of the Somerset County Jail. The correctional officer ensures a high quality direct supervision corrections facility by providing for the care, custody and control of inmates.
The correctional officer supervises inmates to ensure a safe and humane environment; handles inmate discipline fairly and effectively; responds to inmate requests in a fair and balanced fashion; builds a positive rapport and personal credibility with inmates; supervises inmates in a clear, well-organized and attention getting manner; resolves inmate problems and conflicts; and maintains effective administration and staff relations.
1. Be committed to the missions of the Somerset County Jail and Somerset County Sheriffs Department.
2. Be committed to the principles of direct supervision in all aspects of the work.
3. Work as a member of a team in the performance of duties.
4. Be punctual for scheduled work and uses time appropriately.
5. Work in a harmonious relationship with staff and community.
6. Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
7. Perform required amount of work in a timely fashion with a minimum of errors.
8. Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
9. Possess a valid Driver’s License.
10. Understand and work within Somerset County and the Somerset County Jail’s Polices and Procedures.
11. Assure quality in work performed in order to facilitate the delivery of quality services.
12. Accept shared responsibility with other team members to successfully accomplish goals of each team of which he/she is a member.
13. Maintain confidence and protect Somerset County by keeping information concerning inmates, clients and operations confidential.
14. Take direction in a professional manner from the Correctional Supervisors and Administrative Staff.
KEY EXPECTED RESULTS:
1. Ensures a safe and secure facility by complying with policies, procedures, post orders, and training and by employing principles of direct supervision.
2. Employs time management techniques to effectively prioritize assigned tasks.
3. Ensures inmates court appearance by organizing, preparing inmates to be transported.
4. Meets cleanliness and hygiene expectations by supervising the cleaning, disinfecting of inmates quarters and providing necessary linen and supplies.
5. Takes emergency action when necessary by established emergency procedures and protocols.
6. Maximizes compliant inmate behavior and minimizes the occurrence of disruptive inmate behavior in the living unit by proactively supervising and clear communicating of the rules and expectations to inmates.
7. Responds to all incidents of inmate behavior immediately.
8. Responds fairly and effectively and within established parameters to inmates when disciplining them for disruptive behavior or rule violations.
9. Ensure inmates follow required behavior standards by supervising recreation, visiting, dining, education, work programs, treatment, social services, and other activities.
10. Meets all legal requirements by maintaining accurate logs on all significant activity in the housing unit.
11. Ensures the safety of staff and inmates by performing searches of inmates, rooms, and the entire facility to prevent use of prohibited materials and seizes any contraband.
12. Responds to inmates requests in a fair and balanced manner and avoids manipulation.
13. Creates an environment full of mutual respect between the inmate and the officer by demonstrating fairness, consistency, and responding in a courteous manner.
14. Demonstrates effective skill in organizing, supervising, and motivating inmates in their activities.
15. Provides guidance and leadership in the resolution of inmate problems by recognizing the steps involved in conflict resolution and dealing with confrontational situations.
16. Provides for inmate’s needs by organizing, sorting, transporting, delivering, and collecting mail.
17. Assist staff by working in specialized skill areas as trained and assigned.
18. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending pre-service and in-service training as required.
19. Contributes to the team effort by accomplishing related results as needed by having knowledge of and consistently applying facility rules and procedures, coordinates activities with co-workers, supports the authority of staff members and regularly and effectively communicates with supervisors and other administrators.
20. Supports the Authority’s safety and health polices by attending required safety training programs, reporting all accidents and suspected safety hazard.
21. Participates as an active member in training, on task forces and performing other related duties as required by the Correctional Administrator.
22. Performs any and all other related duties assigned.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet these physical standards.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to bend, lift, push, pull,use hands to finger a standard computer keyboard, use a computer and touch screen devices, telephone, radio and protective devices.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities require close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee is required to operate a motor vehicle or other vehicle equipment. Employee will frequently come in contact with inmates and must possess sufficient physical dexterity to employ necessary and lawful non-deadly physical force to address inmate resistance.
If authorized to use a firearm, must receive training and qualify in its use annually.
If authorized to use chemical agents, must receive training in their use and handling as required.
If authorized to use electronic equipment, must receive training in their use and handling as required.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Sometime it may be loud due to problems with inmates.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS NEEDED FOR THE POSITION:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Two (2) years post secondary education desirable.
• Successful completion of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy Basic Corrections course or completion within the first year of employment.
• Understanding of direct supervision jail principles.
• Ability to effectively manage inmates.
• Ability to work with supervisory and other staff in a collaborative and effective manner.
• Commitment to running a safe and secure jail.
• Ability to remain composed in emergency situations.
• Commitment to accreditation and standards compliance.
• Certified in CPR or able to obtain certification.
• Capable of physically controlling violent, unruly members of the inmate population using methods established pursuant to policies, procedures and training.
Two (2) years post secondary education or employment.
REPORTS TO: SUPERVISES:
Assistant Shift Commander None
--------------------------------Pay Scale Attached--------------------------------
Salary Scale for Correctional Officer
Job Classification PR Step 1 Step 2 Step 3 Step 4 Step 5 Step 6 Step 7 Step 8 Step 9 Step 10
Corrections Officer 15 $13.65 $13.99 $14.34 $14.70 $15.07 $15.44 $16.23 $16.63 $17.05 $17.47
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Please visit Somerset County website at: www.somersetcounty-me.org
Resumes will NOT be considered without being accompanied by a Completed Application.
Applications are open ended.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds