COUNTY OF YORK
TITLE: Corrections Officer
FLSA: ___Exempt _X_Non-Exempt
APPROVED BY: Sheriff William L. King, Jr.
JOB PURPOSE: Ensures a high quality corrections facility by providing for the care, custody, and control of inmates. Supervise inmates in their personal and quarters cleanliness according to established rules and regulations.
A) Be committed to the mission of the Sheriff.
B) Work as a member of a team in the performance of duties.
C) Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately.
D) Work in harmonious relationships with all Sheriff staff and community.
E) Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
F) Perform required amount of work in a timely fashion with a minimum of errors.
G) Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
H) Possess a valid Driver’s license.
I) To understand and work within York County Government and Sheriff’s Office Policies and Procedures.
J) To work collaboratively as a member of a team with various groups of staff depending on the issue addressed.
K) To accept shared responsibility with other team members to successfully accomplish goal of each team which he or she is a member.
L) To assure quality in work performed in order to facilitate the delivery of quality services.
M) Maintain confidence and protect the County by keeping information concerning clients and Sheriff operations confidential.
KEY EXPECTED RESULTS:
1. Ensures a safe and secure facility by managing the secure in and out processing, transportation, care and behavior of inmates.
2. Ensures quality inmate activities by preparing, executing, and managing lock downs, head counts, recreation, visits, interviews, medical passes and treatment, dining and inmate rehabilitation programs.
3. Ensures inmates court appearance by organizing, preparing, executing, and managing transport; maintaining the safety and security of inmates and the public throughout the entire process.
4. Meets all corrections facility standards by supervising the cleaning and disinfecting of inmate quarters and provides necessary linen and supplies.
5. Takes emergency action when necessary by summoning Medical department and services as necessary; managing cell assignments and transfers.
6. In emergency situations, such as fire or bomb threat, ensures inmate safety by organizing, preparing, executing and managing the evacuation of sections or the entire facility.
7. Ensures inmates follow required behavior standards by supervising recreation, visiting, dining, schools, AA meetings and other activities.
8. Ensures immediate handling of problems by intervening in inmate altercations and escorts unruly inmates into segregation area.
9. Meets all legal requirements by maintaining accurate logs on all significant activity in the housing units.
10. Ensures inmates abide by facility rules by performing searches of inmates, rooms and the entire facility to prevent use and seize any contraband.
11. Assists staff by working in specialized skill areas as trained and assigned.
12. Provide for inmate’s needs by organizing, sorting, transporting, delivering and collecting mail.
13. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
14. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
15. Supports the Sheriff’s safety and health policies by attending required safety training programs, reporting all accidents and suspected safety hazards to Supervisor.
16. Fulfills job function by participating as an active member in training, participating on Sheriff task forces and performing other responsibilities as assigned.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the Incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to bend, lift, push, pull, use hands to finger a standard computer keyboard, use a computer, telephone, radio, and protective devices.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to use self-defense techniques to restrain or control inmates.
Required to operate a motor vehicle.
If authorized to use a firearm, must receive training and qualify in its use annually.
If authorized to use chemical agents, must receive training in their use and handling, trained in suicide prevention, detection and procedures annually.
Trained in suicide prevention, detection and procedures annually.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the office work environment is usually quiet. Sometimes it may be loud due to problems with inmates.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS NEEDED FOR POSITION **:
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Two (2) years post secondary education desirable.
Successful completion of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy (MCJA) Basic Corrections Course or completion within first year of employment.
Must maintain MCJA Certification in accordance with established requirements.
Certified in CPR or able to obtain certification.
Capable of physically controlling violent, unruly members of the inmate population.
Bargaining Agreement with the (National Correctional Employees Union (NCEU).
REPORTS TO: SUPERVISES:
Lieutenant Colonel None
** All requirements and skills are considered to be essential, unless otherwise indicated.
Interested candidates should complete an application and submit it to:
York County Sheriff's Office
Attn: Captain Tim Kortes
1 Layman Way
Alfred, ME 04002
The application can be found online by downloading and printing it from the county website at http://www.yorkcountymaine.gov (Sheriff’s Office)/careers in law enforcement. Please DO NOT submit online.