DEPARTMENT: Westbrook Fire Rescue Department
REPORTS TO: Fire Chief
APPLICATION PERIOD: 08/22/2018- until filled
FLSA DESIGNATION: Non-Exempt
Basic Purpose & Function
This is technical work involving all aspects of modern day firefighting, fire prevention, maintenance, and basic emergency medical responses. He/she answers emergency calls and performs other duties on an assigned shift as a member of a crew. He/she reports directly to the full time Shift Captain and/or a full- time firefighter acting in that position as an immediate supervisor during the performance of on duty shift work of either an emergency or non-emergency nature. The normal work shift for this position 24 hours a day, however if may be broken up in to two 12-hour blocks (0800-2000, 2000-0800). Per Diem Firefighter/EMT’s are required to work at least 12 hours per week.
Work involves, but is not limited to, training for and participating in duties of protecting life and property, prevention of fire, fire inspection, vehicle maintenance, station maintenance, public education, and basic emergency medical services. Work in this classification requires a high degree of motivation, initiative, and safety consciousness.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (Illustrative Only)
Duties of Per Diem Firefighters include but are not limited to;
• Responds to emergency incidents with a Company employing modern firefighting skills, equipment, and procedures.
• Responds to Emergency Medical calls to provide assistance to extent of license level.
• Maintains Stations and Equipment for cleanliness and readiness by use of simple and/or major maintenance.
• Follows oral and written directives from superiors.
• May be required to respond to and assist at hazardous materials incidents, confined space rescues, water rescues, and other incidents requiring fire department intervention.
• Participates in all training sessions while on duty, whether of fire or emergency medical services in nature.
• Participates in public education programs as requested.
• Participates in fire preplanning, in service fire safety surveys, and fire inspections.
• Performs hydrant trimming, shoveling, and other fire equipment maintenance as necessary.
• Works with and off ladders up to 100 feet in height, fire hose, power tools, pumping equipment, ropes, extrication equipment, stretchers, and other firefighting and emergency medical equipment.
• May work in a smoke-filled environment performing strenuous tasks associated with fire attack, rescue, ventilation, and property conservation activities.
• Performs other related work and duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Required to possess a High School Diploma or have obtained a GED.
• Required to possess a valid Maine Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record.
• Licensed as a Basic, Advanced or Paramedic level provider in the State of Maine.
• A member of another fire service organization and possesses Maine State Firefighter 1
• Ability to perform emergency rescue, patient extrication, and firefighting duties with sound
judgement while maintaining composure.
• Ability to learn the location of streets, principal buildings and geographic features of the City of
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, other
departments, and the public. Person must possess the ability to be a team player.
• Ability and willingness to learn and employ additional job skills and techniques as deemed
• Ability to perform routine maintenance on emergency equipment and supplies. Assist in
maintaining emergency vehicles and quarters.
• Ability to understand and employ the department’s standard operating procedures and rules &
regulations or possess the ability to acquire such knowledge during a reasonable working period.
• Ability to receive, understand, relay, and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to operate emergency vehicles and equipment with sound judgement.
• Ability to maintain station logs and other department records working with computers for entry of
• Must possess mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity.
• Safely lift and carry at least 80 pounds.
• Physical strength and agility sufficient to do strenuous tasks under varying weather conditions.
• Ability to obtain and retain the knowledge, skills, and abilities of a firefighter in a modern fire
and emergency medical services system.
Necessary Special Requirements
Candidates for this position must possess a High School Diploma or GED, Maine Driver’s license, Maine
Firefighter 1 Certification. In addition, candidates must meet and pass those physical, written and medical
requirements as established by the City of Westbrook for this position. In lieu of the Physical Abilities
Test, a valid CPAT card is accepted. Candidates holding this position must be able to meet the
requirements of the Maine Department of Labor Respiratory Standard and maintain respiratory
certification throughout their employment.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds