Municipal Career Center

City of South Portland - Seasonal Park Ranger/Conservation Steward

Start Date: April 23, 2024 | End Date: May 23, 2024
County: Cumberland County
Job Type: Parks & Recreation

The City of South Portland is currently seeking applicants for a seasonal, part-time Park Ranger (June-October, up to 40 hours/week). Rangers patrol recreational and natural areas to encourage proper and appropriate use of park property, promote compliance with rules and regulations, protect park resources and enhance visitor experience. Park Rangers will spend approximately 70% of their time monitoring parks, collecting data, and educating about and enforcing park rules. The other 30% of their time will be spent running educational programs and helping with conservation projects.

Rangers must positively represent the City of South Portland. Duties include providing park visitors with general assistance, directions and information on City parks, and information on historical, cultural and natural features of parks; promoting safe use and enjoyment of South Portland Parks by encouraging voluntary compliance with and/or enforcing applicable park rules and regulations, issuing violation notice/tickets when needed, and requesting police assistance when necessary; assisting with and running environmental education programs for park guests; assisting with conservation projects in parks such as non-native species removal, dune restoration, and trail maintenance; providing emergency assistance and direct emergency services when needed; collect data (park usage, waterfowl counts, monarch counts, etc.), maintain park field logs and report on park incidents, permits, park conditions; other duties as assigned.

Must be a team player with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with other employees and the general public; must possess good communication skills, including to hand write legibly and follow verbal and written instructions; must have ability to work independently in field conditions including uneven ground in parks and beaches, and have the ability to walk/hike/bike up to 15 miles daily. A city provided bike is the primary mode of transportation for getting from park to park throughout the day. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. and push pull or move up to 60 lbs., and must possess the physical strength and endurance necessary to perform the essential functions of the job under exposure to varied climatic conditions. Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays. First Aid and CPR training upon hire is preferred. Must possess and maintain a valid State of Maine Class C driver’s license. Must pass a post-offer physical exam, Department of Motor Vehicle and criminal background checks.

The hourly wage for Seasonal Ranger positions is $18.00/hour.

Application materials will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.

To apply you may email a cover letter and resume to apply@southportland.org.

You may also file an application using our fillable pdf at https://www.southportland.gov/Jobs.aspx

You may also mail a resume with cover letter to:

City of South Portland

Genny Dyer, Human Resources Generalist

25 Cottage Road; P.O. Box 9422

South Portland, ME  04116-9422

EOE

Print
112
Search Municipal Jobs:
Browse Municipal Jobs:
Posting Ads:

Maine Municipal Association members may post job openings, RFPs and classified ads FREE of charge. Login to get started.

Advertising from Non-MMA Members and Non-Profits, as well as Municipal advertising from other states, is a paid service unless there is an agreement in place between the Municipal Associations/Leagues. E-mail the text of the ad to resourcecenter@memun.org with billing address and the length of time the ad is to run. You will be billed $100.00 for the posting. The duration of run is unrestricted; however, no images or graphics are allowed.