The Portland Area Comprehensive Transportation System (PACTS) is seeking a Transportation Director to lead our innovative team working to improve the Portland, Maine region’s transportation systems. As the area’s metropolitan planning organization, we pride ourselves in managing an excellent planning process with our eighteen very engaged municipalities, leading the region to apply the latest transportation planning practices and engineering/design standards, and programming a $20 million annual portfolio of FHWA-funded and FTA-funded projects. As Maine’s economic center, Greater Portland is an exciting region in which to work and live – and Portland is a world-class small city as shown in many “top ten” lists during the past ten years.
The Transportation Director manages a staff of two senior planners and an engineer (a new position currently being filled), and works on a daily basis with transportation and land use planners at the Greater Portland Council of Governments (GPCOG) at which the PACTS offices are located. The Transportation Director is also in regular communication with member municipal and transit officials, PACTS committees and the Maine Department of Transportation. The new Transportation Director is expected to have these skills:
- Strong skill in capital project funding analysis and management.
- Extensive experience in staffing and managing committees.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent understanding of both FHWA and FTA programs and regulations, with an emphasis on planning requirements and funding.
- Experience with the MPO process.
- Understanding of multi-disciplinary regional planning.
- Experience managing and directing teams and staff.
Skills and abilities in the following areas are a plus:
- Strong public engagement and presentation skills.
- Experience with local government.
- Basic knowledge of public transportation planning, traffic engineering, pavement management and bicycle/pedestrian planning.
The successful candidate will also have a bachelor’s degree, professional experience, a driver’s license, and the ability to attend night and weekend meetings as required.
The PACTS and GPCOG leadership are currently working to more fully integrate the PACTS and GPCOG organizations after 40+ years of an amicable and effective co-located relationship. We will describe the process for achieving greater integration – which will likely involve additional staff for the Transportation Director to supervise – to candidates during the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, competitive salary, and a fun and creative working environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to representing the region’s diversity in our staff and creating a positive, inclusive workplace where all can thrive. People of color, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Come join our team!
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume along with minimum salary requirements by December 6th (no phone calls please) to:
Ms. Maddy Adams at email@example.com
Email subject line: Application for Transportation Director.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds