The Town of Kittery Community Center has an opening for an Eyes of the World Discovery Center Nature-Based Lead Preschool Teacher. (Please see http:// eyesoftheworlddiscoverycenter. weebley.com). The starting rate for this position is $13.80 per hour. The position will be scheduled Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm. This position is eligible for health and retirement benefits.
The purpose of this full-time position is to provide the Eyes of the World Discovery Center forest, nature- based preschool with professional, educational and creative experiences. Candidates will have a knowledge of an Emergent, Child-led curriculum as well as the Forest preschool model. All teachers are expected to embrace the concept, “There is no bad weather, just bad clothing”. Lead teachers will use the outdoors all year round and will be prepared to lead their students in rain, sun and snow as long as the conditions are safe for the children. Lead teachers will model a love and interest for nature.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Teach with an assistant, a class with a minimum of ten (10) to a maximum of sixteen (16) students, all year round
- Help students explore the world around them in a child-led style curriculum
- Use appropriate classroom and behavioral management with students
- Establish consistent communication with parents and children
- Monitor classroom behavior, recognize and adapt to issues
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment
- Embrace the philosophies of the school
- Establish cooperative working relationships with all staff
- Attend all staff meetings
- Attend training as necessary
- Provide supervisor with a list of necessary supplies when needed
- Additional tasks may be assigned to meet the needs of the school
Minimum Qualifications Based on State Licensing Program
- Must be at least 21 years of age and meet one of the following:
- A Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts (BS/BA) in Early Childhood Education or,
- An Associate in Science/Associate in Arts (AS/AA) in Early Childhood Education and three (3) years’ direct childcare experience or,
- AS/AA in a related field with eighteen (18) credit hours in Early Childhood Education and three (3) years’ direct childcare experience or,
- BS/BA in a related field with eighteen (18) credit hours in Early Childhood Education and three(3) years’ direct childcare experience or,
- Child Development Associate (CDA) as awarded by the CDA National Credentialing Program with five (5) years’ direct childcare experience or,
- Seven (7) years’ experience and one hundred eighty (180) hours of training in healthy, safe environment, child development, observation and assessment, developmentally appropriate practices, guidance, relationships with families, individual and cultural diversity or business and professional development, childcare, early childcare education, topics related to a child care facility, or other subjects related to the age or characteristics of children for whom care is planned.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- CPR for toddlers and first aid certification required
- Excellent organizational and oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of child development, disabilities, family systems and special education methods
- Exhibit a positive professionalism with supervisors, co-workers, students, parents and community
- Interact with a wide variety of individuals
- Maintain composure in stressful situations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift and carry children up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to operate a variety of machines and equipment, including, but not limited to, computer, telephone, facsimile machine, and adding machine
- Must be able to move or carry job related objects and materials
- Must be able to walk, sit, climb stairs, reach, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, pull, push and spend long periods of time standing
- There may be physical demands based on physical, emotional and cognitive needs of particular children
- Must appreciate the outdoors, all weather types with animals/bugs included
The responsibilities outlined above cannot totally encompass or define all tasks which may be required by this position. The outline of responsibilities given above may, therefore, vary from time to time without changing the level of responsibility.
Please complete the application located on our website at www.kitteryme.gov under employment opportunities and submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Town of Kittery
Attn: Maureen Paro
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled.
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds