The Deputy Code Enforcement Officer assists the Code Enforcement Officer in reviewing and issuing building, plumbing, and electrical permits; conducting building and site inspections (fieldwork); investigating complaints; ensuring compliance with Bar Harbor’s ordinances and building codes; preparing and processing reports; and with filing and data entry. This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position with a very competitive compensation and benefit package (medical, dental, and vision insurance, paid holidays, etc.).
Who is right for the job?
A critical thinker and team-collaborator who is accustomed to a fast-pace and customer-centric environment.
- Must be certified, or able to become certified within one year, as a Code Enforcement Officer and a Local Plumbing Inspector.
- Must possess a valid Maine driver’s license.
- Must have a high school diploma.
- Must be able to conduct site visits and fieldwork.
Skills crucial to the job:
- Some knowledge of building trades (such as, but not limited to, drafting, construction, plumbing, electrical).
- A person with common sense, good judgement and decision-making skills, and who is detail-oriented, and a good communicator.
- A person who can think critically and is open-minded, and interested in serving the public and working in a team environment.
About the Town of Bar Harbor Planning and Code Department:
- The Department consists of a team of five people who provide project development services to citizens and developers from project review to permitting and inspections. We also work on ordinances and comprehensive planning. We work closely with the Design Review Board, Planning Board, and the Board of Appeals, as well as numerous other committees.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: Angela Chamberlain, Code Enforcement Officer, 93 Cottage Street, Bar Harbor Maine 04609 or email email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The Town reserves the right to accept or reject any applications. The Town is an equal opportunity employer.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds