Towns of South Berwick and North Berwick
The Towns of South Berwick and North Berwick are 2 growing communities (Combined Pop. 13,000) located in Southern Maine. The town’s share an Assessor’s Agent based on a 3/5 South Berwick and 2/5 North Berwick basis. For administrative purposes, the employee shall be considered an employee of South Berwick and shall comply with all the provisions contained within the South Berwick Personnel Policy.
The Towns are seeking a knowledgeable, qualified, experienced Assessor to join our shared management team. The preferred candidate will be a Certified Maine Assessor with a minimum 7 years’ experience as well as thorough knowledge of real estate appraisal principles, techniques, procedures, laws and regulations. Experience with TRIO software is desirable as well as GIS/ERSI and AUTOCAD software and mapping.
This position shall remain open until filled with a 1st review of applications beginning May 1, 2021 and first interviews expected mid-May, 2021. The current Assessing Agent is retiring at the end of July 2021 after 15 years.
- Plans and administers the assessment/appraisal system for the Towns in maintaining current property valuation through inspection, data collection, and market analysis.
- Appraises residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural properties; special rights and interests; personal property; and public utility property and equipment.
- Oversees and reviews the maintenance of assessing maps, transfers, and other assessment records; determines and enters valuation factors and other data in valuation commitment books; determines the valuations on new, renovated, and other existing property based on data changes and shifting real estate market conditions.
- Develops and administers a program for the collection of sales information, cost, income, and other economic and social data affecting property values; prepares appraisals in conformance with the Uniform Standards and Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).
- Prepares State Municipal Valuation Reports, tree growth reports, sales study SRS reports and other State reports as necessary.
- Maintains a positive working relation with Maine Revenue Service.
- Supervises the clerical staff, as well as independent contractors and their work.
- Responds to a large number of citizen inquiries regarding property assessment, transactions, policy, procedures, and regulations.
- Oversees the preparation and updating of the tax maps of the Towns.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with taxpayers, real estate professionals, co-workers, other municipal employees, departments, and agencies.
- Assists in Town’s projects regarding tax implications and other issues.
- Manages and executes proper yearly educational schedule to improve staff knowledge and expertise.
Education and Requirements
- Graduation from a college or university with a Bachelor's degree in public administration, business management, economics, finance, or a closely related field, and/or
- Seven (7) years of significant experience in the appraisal and valuation of land and buildings of which five (5) must be at the supervisory or office administration level.
- Certified Maine Assessor (CMA) required.
- Any equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible experience.
- General working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Necessary.
The Towns of South Berwick and North Berwick offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
All interested individuals shall submit a resume, job experience, references and salary/benefits expectations to:
Town of South Berwick
Shared Assessing Agent Position
180 Main Street
South Berwick, Maine 03908
The Towns of South Berwick and North Berwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds