MAINTENANCE/CUSTODIAN– FACILITIES DEPARTMENT
Picturesque Cumberland County is the State’s most populous county having a population of 289,977. Its largest city is Portland and the county geographically extends from Casco Bay to the Lakes Region. Cumberland County has the second largest body of water in the state, Sebago Lake, which provides numerous recreational opportunities. The County is the economic and industrial center of the state, having a strong corporate presence of major domestic and international companies. The County has over 350 dedicated employees, all focused on providing the best customer service to the County residents. Cumberland County is represented by five elected county commissioners and the county manager runs the daily operations.
JOB PURPOSE: The purpose of this position is to provide routine custodial, grounds keeping, and interior and exterior maintenance work in connection with the care and upkeep of the assigned building(s); all other related work as required for the second shift.
- Performs general cleaning and housekeeping within the building(s), including waxing and buffing floors, vacuuming carpets and rugs, cleaning restrooms, emptying trash, dusting and general cleaning of offices and furniture, and refilling restroom supplies.
- Answers and responds to maintenance issues, including electrical problems, lighting repairs, mechanical problems, and plumbing.
- Performs spot cleaning carpets, light carpentry, painting, gluing chairs, and repairing door locks.
- Performs minor plumbing repairs to toilets, sinks, and drains.
- Performs light grounds keeping including mowing grass, removing snow and ice from parking lots, sidewalks, entrances, and exits, cleaning windows, raking leaves, removing sticks and trash, etc.
- Responsible for all physical aspects of the building including cleaning, setting up for special events, and building security when the supervisor is absent.
- Assists with miscellaneous projects requiring handyperson skills.
- Participates in snow removal at our Windham facility.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
- High school graduation or GED;
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license required;
- General knowledge of cleaning materials and methods:
- Basic knowledge of trades including plumbing, electrical, carpentry, painting, snow removal, etc.;
- General knowledge of lawn maintenance;
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions;
- Ability to perform maintenance and repairs to buildings and equipment;
- Basic skills in painting/staining and performing preventive maintenance on buildings, equipment and grounds.
- One (1) year of experience in custodial and/or maintenance work; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Cumberland County offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package and is proud of its talented and dedicated workforce. Come join our team and culture of engaged employees. Our strong management team is dedicated to providing employees with inspiring leadership, a positive and friendly workplace, support, encouragement and the necessary tools for success. We offer tuition reimbursement, wellness program, and professional development and training opportunities.
The position is a 40-hour a week position, with a full benefits package. Pay is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applications accepted until position is filled. For a complete list of responsibilities, or to download an employment application, please visit www.cumberlandcounty.org/Jobs
Interested applicants please submit a cover letter, resume, and Employment Application via mail, fax, or email to:
Human Resource Department
142 Federal Street, Suite 110
Portland, Maine 04101
Cumberland County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected Veteran status.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds