The Westbrook Community Center is looking for lifeguards.
Basic Purpose & Function - Ensures pool safety at the facility.
Hours of Work - Variable hours ranging from 5am to 9pm, Monday through Friday, and 5:15 am to 6pm, Saturdays and Sundays.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities (Illustrative Only):
Includes but is not limited to such essential functions as listed below:
- Enforce all pool policies, rules, and regulations
- Recognize and respond effectively to emergencies
- Inspect pool on a daily basis, report all unsafe conditions
- Complete all pool records and reports
- Able to focus on single task for long periods of time
- Able to sit and or stand for extend periods of time
- Must have good social skills and ability to interact with the general public
- Must be a team player
- All other duties as deemed necessary by the Director of Community Services
Requirements of Work
- Ability to read, interpret and comprehend written communications such as: short correspondence, memos, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to compose simple written communications such as routine reports and correspondence and to perform such functions utilizing word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to comply with and carry out detailed, but straightforward, written and oral instructions.
- Ability to solve problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations using mature judgment and sound decision making skills.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new or unexpected situations.
- Must have strong communication and customer service skills with the ability to communicate clearly and professionally in a positive manner in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Must be flexible to work mornings, days, evenings and/or weekends, as required.
Education, Training & Experience
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard certification required
- Current Community First Aid/CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification required
- Must be able to pass a swim test covering the different swimming strokes and safety related skills.
- Current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification preferred
- One year of relevant experience preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently work near moving mechanical parts and in inside and outside environment, and is frequently exposed to fumes, airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level of the work environment is usually low to moderate. The employee is constantly required to climb into lifeguard stanchions, climb in and out of the swimming pool (with or without the use of pool ladders), and to walk up and down stairs. The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects or equipment; stop, kneel, twist, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must be able to lift and/or move victims, equipment, and supplies weighing up to 150 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will be required to maintain a degree of fitness and strength to meet the demands of the job.
If interested, please send a resume to Debbie Comeau, HR Generalist, at email@example.com. Position is open until filled.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds