The City of Westbrook is an active growing community with multi-generational citizens, cultures and economic development, such as Rock Row. We are seeking an experienced and highly qualified Human Resources professional with strong business acumen to provide quality leadership and sound counsel to our municipal departments, which consist of 200 full and part time employees.
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for planning and coordinating a variety of human resource functions for the City including grievance resolution, labor negotiations and contract administration, staff training and organizational development, employee relations efforts, recruitment and selection, state and federal employment compliance, and employee safety and wellness. Provides strategic support and guidance to allow for the effective administration of human resources programs and operational initiatives.
The successful candidate will possess thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public sector human resources administration. Prior leadership experience in several human resources functional areas and considerable knowledge of human resources and managerial principles, techniques, and practices employed in this field required. The incumbent must be highly organized, possess excellent interpersonal and management skills, and be motivated to make a difference for the employees and citizens of Westbrook.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Debbie Comeau, HR Generalist, at email@example.com by Friday, July 9, 2021.
- Minimum of seven (7) years' professional level Human Resources experience, with proven communication, labor relations, negotiation, and leadership skills required.
- Public sector experience strongly preferred.
- PHR preferred; SPHR certification strongly preferred
- Leadership experience in multiple human resources functional areas required.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public human resources administration and the techniques employed in this field.
- Skill in preparing and administering budgets; planning, directing, and administering human resources programs and systems;
- Ability to carry out multiple assigned projects to their completion;
- Ability to analyze a variety of personnel and management problems and make unbiased recommendations for their resolution; prepare working procedures; and develop and/or facilitate appropriate training as necessary.
- Effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to deliver and develop training presentations and/or act as a group facilitator/trainer.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department heads, direct reports, employees, job applicants, and the general public.
Bachelor's degree in a related field required. Master's degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Public Administration, or related field preferred.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered, including excellent medical insurance, a choice between two retirement plans, and generous paid time off.
The City of Westbrook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds