The Town of Windham is currently seeking Per-Diem EMT/Firefighters to our Fire-Rescue Department. The Windham Fire-Rescue Department is a combination department providing service to 18,500 citizens over 56 square miles responding to 3,300 calls annually. Per-Diem personnel work 12 or 24 hours shifts from two of our four stations. We have immediate openings for per-diem Firefighter/EMT, Firefighter/Advanced and/or Firefighter/Paramedics. Candidates will need to successfully complete a physical abilities test, interview, and medical physical.
This is a technical position scheduled by day to an assigned shift or detail with no guarantee of minimum hours to provide prompt and accurate medical care, interior, exterior firefighting and apparatus operation. Responsibilities include dealing effectively with the public to mitigate emergent and non-emergent requests for services, and performing specific delegated tasks, all under the general guidance and direct supervision of the officers and supervisors of the department. Performance is evaluated based on daily observation and results, EMS quality assurance and department call statistics.
- Performs fire suppression activities as required including but not limited to assuming incident command, accountability, safety, suppression, ventilation, forcible entry, search & rescue overhaul and rehab.
- Provide primary patient assessment, treatment, and transport at the appropriate level based on licensure on any call for emergency medical service.
- Reports to an emergency scene and may assume any role in the incident command system, until relieved and reassigned.
- Utilizes self-contained breathing apparatus and other personnel protective equipment necessary to create a safe working environment.
- Completes required apparatus and equipment checks.
- Ensures all areas of their assigned station are kept clean and organized.
- Reports on building maintenance, apparatus, and equipment problems.
- Maintains assigned equipment and apparatus.
- Maintains minimum training requirements.
- Participates in calls, details, inspections and trainings when on shift.
- Maintains confidentiality and satisfactory working relationships with employees, department officers, public officials, contractors, and the general public.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs other work as may be required in support of the mission of the Fire-Rescue and other Town departments.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with MS Office, Excel, Outlook and Word programs and specialized software including but not limited to Emergency Reporting, Maine Patient Care Reporting Software, and Fire Manager;
- Thorough knowledge of, and proficiency in, modern firefighting methods and equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of, and proficiency in, EMS best practices, methods and equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of, and proficiency in, public education methods and techniques;
- Knowledge and use of department Standard Operating Guidelines;
- Ability to analyze situations correctly and quickly and to adopt effective courses of action, giving regard to surrounding hazards and conditions;
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Firefighter I certificate, Firefighter II preferred;
- Valid Maine EMS License at the basic level or higher
- Mandatory Local, State, Federal training topics or certifications
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Valid State of Maine Driver’s License;
- Proficient in the operation of assigned equipment/apparatus, shift eligibility is dependent on extend of apparatus operational clearance;
- Adherence to and with departmental policies, trainings , general orders and memo’s, etc.;
- Exercises common sense and sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions;
- Effectively gives and receives verbal and written instructions; and
- Demonstrates working knowledge of the geography of the Town of Windham, including the location of streets.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Strenuous physical effort required; must frequently lift and/or move 50 pounds and occasionally move and/or lift up to 50 pounds. May work near moving mechanical parts and apparatus, moving traffic, low visibility conditions and may be exposed to wet and or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. Work is often performed in emergency and stressful situations may be exposed to loud noises at emergency scenes. Work is performed primarily in the roadway, vehicles and outdoor settings, in all weather conditions, including temperature extremes, day and night for extended periods of time.
Frequently required to sit, talk or hear, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach over head with hands and arms in order to perform the essential functions of the position. Occasionally required to balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and smell. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and the level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
The Town of Windham provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Town complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Town has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds