Paid Emergency Management Internship Program
Cumberland County Emergency Management Agency (CCEMA) is currently accepting applications for our Internship Program. CCEMA and the prospective intern will agree upon the days and hours of work. 2022 interns are paid at $13.00/hour. The primary work location will be Windham, Maine with some remote work. All new hires shall provide documentation to Human Resources that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 before they are cleared to start work.
- Cumberland County encompasses 28 cities and towns from Casco Bay to the Lakes Region, including Portland, the largest city in Maine.
- We serve local emergency management directors, typically the local fire chief.
- We maintain an all-hazards emergency management program encompassing mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery functions.
- Interns can obtain valuable hands-on experience that will develop confidence and skills necessary for future employment opportunities.
- Internal mentorship with senior-level department and county staff.
- Participants may have the opportunity to participate in County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) activation in the event of an emergency or disaster.
- Opportunities to attend training and exercises as schedules allow.
- Networking opportunities with stakeholders at the local, county, regional and state levels.
Internships will align with the academic coursework and interests of the applicant. Example projects may including emergency planning, community outreach, research projects, grant writing, running exercises, developing checklists/user guides, inventory management, creating marketing materials, etc.
We are looking for interns who:
- Are responsive and motivated self-starters
- Will represent our office and the County professionally
- Are able to work independently with supervisor guidance
- Have the ability to strategize and identify potential solutions for complex problems
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrate an interest in helping their community
- Are proficient in Microsoft Office and virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Hangouts)
- Minimum internship qualifications include current enrollment in a college or university, or a degree. College majors such as emergency management, homeland security, public administration, marketing and related fields are encouraged to apply, but all majors will be considered.
How to Apply:
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- Applicants must submit a Cumberland County job application, letter of interest and current resume. The letter of interest must indicate the student’s current program year and an explanation of the student’s interest in an internship with CCEMA.
- The top candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- If selected for the internship, a background check will be required.
To download an employment application, please visit www.cumberlandcounty.org/Jobs
Please submit application materials via mail, email, or fax to:
Human Resource Department
142 Federal Street, Suite 110
Portland, Maine 04101
To learn more about CCEMA, we encourage you to visit our website and social media pages (YouTube, Facebook and Twitter @ccemaready).
Cumberland County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected Veteran status
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds