The Town of Windham is seeing a truck driver/laborer to join our Public Works team. This is a semi-skilled labor position assisting the Highway Maintenance Supervisor in carrying out the activities of the Highway Maintenance Division in the Department of Public Works. We are willing to train the right candidate. Responsibilities include dealing effectively with the public concerning department activities, and performing specific delegated tasks, all under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Highway Maintenance Supervisor. Performance is based on daily observation and results.
Department: Public Works
Reports to: Highway Maintenance Supervisor
Shift Requirements: Mon.-Thurs. 6AM-4:30PM (7 mos.) Mon.-Fri. 7AM-3:30PM (5 mos.)
Classification: Non-Exempt , Union
Pay: $20.23 - $23.51/hr
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
- Operates dump trucks to perform road and draining system construction and maintenance, including road building, hauling various materials, snow removal, salting and sanding.
- Operates street sweeper, loader, sidewalk snow blower, mower, etc. to maintain streets, sidewalks, and roadsides.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance of equipment including checking fluid levels, air pressures, and lubrication.
- Performs manual labor such as filing in potholes, pavement patching, installing lights and road signs, shoveling, cutting brush and trees and building catch basins.
- Installs repairs and maintains culverts and storm drains.
- Practices proper safety procedures and proper operation of equipment.
- Provides traffic control (flagging) at job sites.
- Works effectively and positively with other employees and the general public regarding all aspects of the department.
- Performs other work as may be required in support of Public Works including manual labor and other related tasks.
- Knowledge of road construction and repair techniques and equipment;
- Knowledge of and ability to operate and provide minor maintenance on dump trucks and light equipment;
- Ability to follow established operating and safety procedures;
- Ability to work independently; and
- Ability to develop and maintain working relationships with other employees, supervisors, Department Heads, public officials and the general public.
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Valid State of Maine CDL Class A or Class B driver’s license, or the ability to obtain such within six (6) months;
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience operating dump trucks in the construction field, preferred;
- Minimum of one (1) years of experience in road construction and maintenance, preferably with snow removal and winter road maintenance responsibilities; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Ability to pass an initial, and subsequent, background checks, including criminal history, driver’s license and other checks deemed appropriate by the Town.
- Participation in a federally mandated drug and alcohol testing program, including both pre-employment and random testing as a condition of employment.
- Ability and willingness to work nights, weekends, on-call, and/or overtime as necessary.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Work requires sufficient physical strength, agility, endurance, dexterity, and hand-eye-foot coordination to perform all essential functions. Requires sitting and standing for long periods of time; considerable kneeling, crawling, bending, climbing stairs and ladders; and the ability to lift up to 80 pounds. Work performed outdoors year-round in all weather conditions and may be called in after regular working hours to respond to emergency maintenance and weather-related needs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and the level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
The Town of Windham provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Town complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Town has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
Apply online at
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds