We want YOU to join our team!
Greater Portland Transit District (METRO) is located on Valley St. in beautiful Portland, Maine. With great pay, full benefits, walking distance to work out options, lunch options, water views, and more; METRO is a perfect place to seek your next career opportunity!
We have onsite locker rooms and showers, along with a quiet room, full break room, vending machines, and more to support staff working split shifts or late hours.
Greater Portland METRO operates fixed-route bus service in the communities of Brunswick, Falmouth, Freeport, Portland, South Portland, Westbrook, and Yarmouth with connections to local and regional transit systems. METRO’s 2019 ridership exceeded 2 million.
For additional information please visit our website at www.gpmetro.org
Reports to: Maintenance Manager
Classification: Non-Exempt, Union
Full-time – Night shift (M-F)
Performs highly skilled repairs and maintenance of diesel and natural gas driven automotive equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs Maine State Inspection of all METRO vehicles.
- Diagnosis trouble, disassembles engines, electrical and fuel systems, etc. and examines parts for defects and excessive wear on METRO vehicles including Forklifts and Sweeper
- Performs tests, repairs, tune ups, brake jobs and other preventative maintenance on buses and other powered rolling equipment; replaces common parts and makes adjustments.
- Reconditions and replaces parts, such as pistons, bearings, gears, valves, and bushings, using engine lathes, boring machines, hand tools, and precision measuring instruments.
- Maintains appropriate service and repair records.
- Responds to routine and emergency calls for repairs and service.
- May assist and serve as back up to other Facilities employees.
- May assist in snow removal activities such as plowing and snow blowing.
Essential Aptitudes and Functions:
- Required ability to work independently, self-motivated and a self-starter, as well as work well in a team environment
- Maintain a considerable knowledge and high degree of skill in recognizing, locating, and adjusting defects in automotive equipment.
- Ability to maintain detailed, organized records
- Dependable, trustworthy, and maintains a high level of integrity with regard to their work
- Can utilize common sense, company policies, and think quickly to adapt and solve problems
- Perform complex diagnostic procedures on all vehicle systems; determine appropriate maintenance and repairs
- Effectively use hand tools and automotive diagnostic equipment; interpret manufacturers’ specifications
- High School Diploma/GED
- Class B license with passenger and airbrake endorsements
- State Inspection License
- Knowledge of mechanics and safety
- Knowledge of parts and processes of using tools book to look up parts
- Computer Skills
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English Language effectively
- ASE certifications preferred
Minimum Physical Requirements
- Ability to stand for up to 9 hours per day
- Occasional standing, walking, crouching, kneeling, pulling and pushing
- Frequent lifting and carrying objects
- Requires capacity to lift up to 75 lbs. unassisted
- Requires the ability to extend hands and arms in any direction.
- Use of legs and body torso to climb ladders and to lift from over head
- Capacity to start, stop, control and adjust the actions of machines to achieve desired results.
- Must be able to safely use manual tools and power equipment common in the construction trades.
- Must be able to handle hazardous materials safely.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, aptitudes, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the position. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, METRO reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the position, or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, staff shortages, work load changes, rush jobs, or technological developments).
Apply online through our Employment Opportunities portal (preferred) at https://gpmetrome.munisselfservice.com/EmploymentOpportunities/ or complete our fillable Job Application electronically (https://gpmetro.org/DocumentCenter/View/844/Job-Application-Metro-fillable-101019) or hard copy and send completed form to:
Via email, fax to 207-774-6241, or mail to 114 Valley St., Portland, ME 04102.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $26.12 - $30.73 per hour
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds