Job Title: Intake Clerical Specialist II
Department: Sheriff’s Office
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Pay Scale: $18.17-$23.36
Date: August 18, 2022
POSTING DATE: August 18, 2022
CLOSING DATE: September 1, 2022 (close of business 4:30 p.m.)
HOW TO APPLY: You may pick up an application in person at 97 Hammond Street, Bangor ME, Human Relations Office or on our website at www.penobscot-county.net/employment.
Completed application must be submitted by September 1, 2022 close of business to email@example.com or:
Attn: Human Relations
97 Hammond Street
Bangor, ME 04401
The Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office is seeking a Full-Time Intake Clerical Specialist II. This is a clerical position that processes and files paperwork which accompanies the incarceration and release of inmates in the jail facility. Work includes processing bail bonds and other court related paperwork and other related work as required. Work is performed under general supervision.
Penobscot County offers health, dental, life & AD&D and vision insurance for its full-time employees as well as paid holidays, sick leave, and vacation (pay based on length of service). Flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care, cancer, short-term/long term disability plans. Employees have access to an employee gym. Penobscot County participates in the Maine State Retirement System and offers a 457(b) program.
Essential Job Functions
1. Completes and posts outdate sheets on sentenced inmates.
2. Completes computation of time served.
3. Reviews all new admissions by arresting agencies or courts for proper documentation.
4. Checks bookings for completeness and accuracy.
5. Completes the daily intake logs and checks for completeness and accuracy.
6. Performs quality control checks of fingerprint cards prior to filing. Directs rejected cards to appropriate shift supervisor for corrective action.
7. Conducts daily review of the jail calendar for completeness and accuracy.
8. Coordinates with the District Attorney’s office, courts and administration on any issues concerning the intake operations.
9. Conducts monthly review of juvenile population report form and forward copies to the Department of Corrections Compliance Monitor.
10. Documents incidents; write reports, and recommendations via chain of command.
11. Other duties as assigned.
SPECIFICATIONS / QUALIFICATIONS
Education / Training (Minimum Required and Preferred)
1. High school graduate or equivalent.
2. Proficient with Microsoft Word/Excel and maintains computer skills.
3. Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and five years of general clerical experience, including two years at a senior level; or two years’ experience working in law enforcement, court, district attorney, or corrections environment, or law office with substantial responsibility for identifying, processing, and preparing a wide variety of legal papers associated with court actions.
Special Job Requirements
- Successful completion of Departmental testing and oral boards.
- Successfully pass a full criminal and motor vehicle background check.
- No criminal history or significant motor vehicle record.
1. Must be able to read, write and comprehend the English language, to include performing basic math functions.
2. Ability to understand, follow, and provide written and/or oral instructions.
3. Knowledge of local, state, and Federal laws, rules and regulations applicable and enforced by the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office.
4. Knowledge of Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office Policies and Standard Operating Procedures.
5. Knowledge of general police methods.
6. Knowledge of laws regarding inmate’s rights.
- Must be able to successfully pass departmental physical.
- Sitting and typing for extended periods of time.
- Majority of time spent within the Correctional Facility (Intake/transport areas), occasional duties are required outside of the secure perimeter.
- Successfully pass a full personal, criminal, and motor vehicle background check.
- Successfully complete physical assessment based on the Departmental Functional Job Description
- Successfully complete a Polygraph
- Successfully pass pre-employment drug screening
Penobscot County provides equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.