The Wells Public Works Department is seeking a Full-Time Equipment Operator. The employee will perform a variety of maintenance and construction tasks and operate all trucks and equipment customary to the operation of a Public Works Department. This position reports to the Deputy Public Works Director. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Performs pre-inspections and general maintenance of public works trucks and equipment; Responsible for cleaning and maintaining equipment after each use
- Reports repair and servicing needs to Public Works Director and Mechanic
- Operates a variety of light and heavy equipment including a rubber-tired loader, dump truck, sweeper, backhoe, small tractors, and many construction tools (compactor, pavement saw, chain saw, lawn mower, grass trimmer, etc.)
- Performs general landscaping duties around all town owned facilities, and street tree trimming/clearing for visibility and vehicle passage
- Performs winter maintenance with a commercial dump truck utilizing a plow, wing plow, and spreader, and sidewalk snow blower or plow
- Loads and unloads materials such as stone, gravel, timber, and leaves
- Removes and disposes of dead animals
- Cleans and maintains the beaches
- Performs asphalt applications (paving), storm drainage repairs and replacements; ditching and shoulder repair
- Notifies the Public Works Director of hazardous or potential hazards pertaining to traffic control or pass ability issues within the roadways of Wells
- Performs physical labor including shoveling, raking, and lifting for extended periods of time
- Must be on-call for various situations, primarily wintertime
- Voting booth set up and take down for State and Town elections
- Town functions set up and take down
- Willingness and ability to fill-in or work at the Transfer Station, if required
- Maintains cleanliness and safety in the shop and breakroom
- Places an emphasis on safety, efficiency, quality and productivity
- Must get along with others and work in a professional manner
- Follows all Town and Department policies
- Performs related work as required
The successful candidate must have a high school diploma or GED with a minimum of two (2) years of experience operating light and heavy equipment and trucks in construction and maintenance work or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Applicants must have a valid Class B license or the ability to obtain it within the first 6 months of employment.
The Town of Wells offers an excellent pay and benefit package. This is a union position with a starting hourly wage of $20.45 per hour. The Town of Wells offers competitive pay, benefit package including health, dental, STD, Life Ins, vision, FSA and an incentive-based Wellness program.
Open Until Filled
Applications for Employment can be obtained by visiting the Town’s website at www.wellstown.org or the Human Resources Department at Town Hall. Completed applications should be sent to: Attn: Human Resources Director, Town of Wells, 208 Sanford Road, Wells, Maine 04090, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for employment with the Town of Wells applicants must complete the Town’s Application for Employment. Please do not use the apply online functions provided through Facebook or any other social media platforms to apply.
The Town of Wells is an Equal Opportunity Employer
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds