Assistant Code Enforcement Officer
The Town of Cape Elizabeth has an immediate opening for an Assistant Code Enforcement Officer.
This is technical and administrative work responsible for enforcement in an equitable and uniform manner of all municipal codes, zoning ordinances and other applicable federal and state ordinances coming under this jurisdiction.
Work is performed under the general policy direction and guidance of the Code Enforcement Officer expected to exercise independent judgment and initiative in accomplishing code enforcement objectives. This position requires considerable contact with the public.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Illustrative examples; not intended to be all-inclusive.)
1. Assists the Code Enforcement Officer in the review and issuance of all permit applications for buildings, electrical, plumbing and other land use activities in compliance with the appropriate municipal, state and federal ordinances and regulations.
2. Inspects buildings and other structures for structural safety, fire safety, sanitation and other standards and requirements according to established inspection procedures to ensure the safety of those buildings.
3. Enforces a wide range of state and local rules and regulations, and assists the Code Enforcement Officer in initiating legal action in relation to the enforcement of the municipal codes and ordinances according to established procedures in order to ensure compliance with appropriate codes and ordinances.
4. Assists the Code Enforcement Officer in enforcing the local Shoreland Zoning Ordinance in accordance with the procedures contained therein.
5. Assists the Code Enforcement Officer in calculating and assessing fees authorized by the
6. Assists the Code Enforcement Officer in keeping a complete record of all essential transactions of the office including applications submitted, permits granted or denied, variances granted or denied, revocation actions, revocation of permits, appeals, court actions, violations investigated, violations found and fees collected.
7. Performs plumbing and electrical inspections.
8. Performs international energy conservation code related inspections.
9. Investigates complaints of alleged violations of building, zoning and land use codes and ordinances, in coordination with the Code Enforcement Officer.
10. Performs related work as required.
A full position description can be required upon request. All inquiries may be directed to Benjamin McDougal, Code Enforcement Officer at 207-799-1619 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will remain open and advertised until filled.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds