Public Safety Dispatcher
The Sagadahoc County 911 Communications Center in Bath, Maine seeks to add a new Public Safety Dispatcher to their team. Our ideal candidate is an individual who is a respectful and dedicated professional, with a willingness to learn, is focused on customer service and skilled at multitasking.
If you have these skills, but no experience in public safety, that’s okay. Many of the skills needed to be a success Public Safety Dispatcher are transferable from other industries. For example a couple of our long-term, extremely skilled dispatchers came from the hospitality industry. They state that being a dispatcher is a very rewarding career, and they use the same skills, multitasking, attention to detail and customer service, daily in their current job.
Public Safety Dispatchers are the first point of contact when someone is calling for help. Often times it is the life-saving instructions provided over the phone that plays a part in a positive outcome.
As the Public Safety Dispatcher, you will interact with the public as well as police, fire and emergency medical personnel daily in response to emergency and non-emergency incoming calls – daily responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
· Answers emergency and non-emergency phones and then transmitting information to appropriate personnel.
· Monitors telephones, radio and other electronic equipment in the dispatch center.
· Dispatches Law Enforcement, Fire or EMS as appropriate, maintaining on-going contact with the responding personnel keeping them up-to-date on new information as it comes in.
· Maintains accurate records in the computer system regarding the call.
· Maintains on-going contact with the caller, providing live-saving instructions as appropriate, until emergency personnel arrive.
· High School diploma or GED required
· Respectful, tactful, and ethical with customer service focus
· Ability to pass a written and physical examination as well as an extensive background check including polygraph test
· Skilled with the use of computers and the ability to type a minimum of 30 WPM
· Valid Driver’s License with a good driving record
· Prior dispatch and/or communication skills are helpful, but not required
Sagadahoc County has an extensive benefit offering including Health, Dental, Vision, Retirement, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, as well as Vacation/Sick/Personal/Holiday time and gym membership reimbursement.
This is a union position with rotating shift positions. We are who people call when they have an emergency. Emergencies happen 24/7/365, so this position includes nights, weekends and holidays, as well as periodic overtime. Salary range is from $653.60 to $824.40 for a 40-hours work week. Sagadahoc County 9-1-1: always there, always ready!
To apply – please visit http://sagcounty.com/home/employment-opportunities/ for full application.
Sagadahoc County is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, color, religion, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.