Class Title: Finance Clerk
Union: Teamsters Local 340
Pay Range: $20.00 - $23.00
Posting will be from November 3, 2017 until filled
Submit Application and Resume to:
Town of Old Orchard Beach
Attn: HR Office
1 Portland Ave
Old Orchard Beach ME 04064
General Purpose/Summary Statement: This position will be responsible to perform technical and administrative accounting work in order to accurately maintain the fiscal records and systems of the Town of Old Orchard Beach.
Supervision Received: This position is directly supervised by the Treasurer/Finance Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for reconciling all bank statements in a timely manner, and will research/analyze data to resolve any variances or reconciling items.
- Assists with the daily operation and maintenance of the Town’s central financial computer system as well as assists in the preparation of the month end general ledger close. As part of the month end close will prepare the monthly financial reports/statements for review by the Treasurer/Finance Director.
- Recommend(s) journal entries and assists with the reconciliations of the general ledger, journal and subsidiary accounts in order to process the month end close.
- Assists the Treasurer/Finance Director with the annual audit and with the preparation of the comprehensive annual financial reports and other financial reports as necessary.
- Assists as back-up for accounts payable and payroll process.
- Prepares quarterly 941 tax filings, annual W2s and 1099s.
- Assists the Treasurer/Finance Director in organizing and preparing the new fiscal budget.
- Assists with department requests relative to budget information, account inquiries, balance sheet information, etc.
- Works independently to execute tasks with little or no supervision.
- Efficiently articulates, either verbally or in writing, the financial and operational activities of the Town as necessary to other individuals or groups.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
Graduation from a two-year college or university with a degree in accounting, finance, business or public administration or a closely related major; or three (3) years of progressive responsible municipal accounting or finance work; and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge & Skills:
- Working knowledge of modern governmental accounting theory, principles and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of internal control procedures and management information systems.
- Some knowledge of public finance and fiscal planning.
- Working knowledge of budgetary, accounting and reporting systems.
- Working knowledge of payroll and accounts payable functions.
- Skills in operating computerized financial applications.
- Deadline-Oriented, Time Management Skills, Attention to Detail, and Confidentiality; a must.
- Possesses cognitive ability for research, analysis, problem solving and articulate findings, to further identify weaknesses and resolution.
- Ability to prepare and analyze complex financial reports.
- Ability to maintain efficient and effective financial systems and procedures.
- Ability to accurately account for Town funds.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, department heads, and the public.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
Tools & Equipment: Personal computer, including word processing and spreadsheets; software, mainframe computer system, calculator, telephone, copy machine, and fax machine.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit or stand and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Selection Guidelines: Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them form the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The Town of Old Orchard Beach is an equal employment opportunity employer.