Location: Maine Municipal Association, 60 Community Drive, Augusta ME 04330
Time: Registration: 8:00-8:30 am / Workshop: 8:30am-3:00 pm
Cost: MMA Members: $150 | Non-Members: $300
Presenters: Joe Hileman and Terry Choate, Jr., Blue-U Defense
In this training session you will learn what it takes to recognize potential threats before they become threats, so that you can protect yourself and others when faced with a sudden, unplanned incident of violence.
Topics to be addressed:
- The decision-making process and how to master it
- The dynamics of an incident
- Hallways/offices/gathering areas
- Your building is the high ground
- Running Towards or away from your adversary?
- De-escalation skills
- Recognizing signs of violence
- The Mind of the Criminal: Why you must understand how they think, what their goals are, and how to win the mental battle against them
- How criminals choose their victims
- What to expect from responding law enforcement
- Basics of hostage negotiation and survival
- The difference between peaceful protest and riots and tips for avoidance
8:30am – 10:00am: De-Brief Recent Incidents of Violence
10:00pm – 10:15pm: Break
10:15am – 12:00pm: Basics of Hostage Negotiation Tips
12:00pm – 1:0pm: Lunch
1:00pm – 2:00pm: Recognizing Signs of Violence/De-Escalation
2:00pm – 2:15pm: Break
2:15pm – 3:00pm: Practical Personal Defense
Cancellation notification must be provided in writing. Cancellations received before Friday, July 22nd will be assessed a $10 administrative fee for processing. Any cancellation received after Friday, July 22nd at 8:30am will be charged the full registration fee.
Please complete this form to cancel your registration: http://www.memun.org/TrainingResources/WorkshopsTraining/Cancellations.aspx.
If you have questions, please contact the Educational Services Office at (800) 452-8786 or (207) 623-8428 or email@example.com.
Due to the high rate of community transmission in many Maine counties, masks are currently required for training events in the MMA building. This guidance is subject to change per the recommendations of the CDC.