Location: Maine Municipal Association, 60 Community Drive, Augusta ME 04330
Time: Registration: 8:00-8:30 am / Workshop: 8:30am-4:30 pm
Cost: MMA Members: $150 | Non-Members: $300
Presenter: Curtis Smith, Vice President of Training, Verbal Judo Institute
VERBAL JUDO is the only tactical communication course in America. The principles and tactics taught enable graduates to use “Presence and Words” to calm difficult people who may be under severe emotional or other influences, redirect the behavior of hostile people, defuse potentially dangerous situations, perform professionally under all conditions and achieve the desired outcome of the encounter.
*NOTE: This course uses real and/or realistic examples of extreme customer situations and may contain profanity. Participant discretion is advised.
Who Should Attend:
If you work with the public and you ever find yourself in conflict situations – this is the class you should attend! This workshop will focus on conflict resolution techniques and how to handle conflict situations with expertise when they arise. This workshop is open to all municipal officials and employees.
Verbal Judo, or Tactical Communication, enables staff to focus on the behavior of others while maintaining their own and others’ safety and then use Appropriate Presence and Words to achieve a professional purpose. Verbal Judo, like Judo itself, uses the energy of others to master situations. It contains a set of communication principles and tactics that enable the user to generate cooperation and gain voluntary compliance from others under stressful conditions. These tactics are especially useful when dealing with hostile, angry, upset, frustrated or disgruntled people. Verbal Judo teaches a philosophy of how to look creatively at conflict while offering specific, powerful, and usable strategies to resolve tense situations. Attendees will learn to respond to situations rather than react to personal feelings. Additionally, participants will come to understand how to deal with difficult people and how to use conflict management tactics to defuse confrontational encounters.
The course has precisely defined training goals that address concerns important to both the organization and its individual employees. They are:
• Personal Safety
• Decreased Complaints
• Enhanced Professionalism
• Reduced Stress on the Job and at Home
• Reduced Vicarious Liability
• Maine Town & City Clerks’ Association – 5 optional points for MTCCA Certification Program
• Maine Fire Chiefs’ Association – 1 point for MFCA Certification Program
• Maine Town, City and County Management Association – 6 credit hours in each of the following categories: Leadership, Human Resources, Legal
• Maine Association of Assessing Officers – 7 credit hours for recertification credits for CMAs & CATs through Maine Revenue Services
• Maine Municipal Tax Collectors’ and Treasurers’ Association – 5 optional points for MMTCTA Certification Program
• State of Maine Animal Welfare Program – 8 hours of continuing education credits for Animal Control Officers
Cancellation notification must be provided in writing. Cancellations received before Tuesday, Sept 6 will be assessed a $10 administrative fee for processing. Any cancellation received after 9/6 at 9am will be charged the full registration fee. Please complete this form to cancel your registration: http://www.memun.org/TrainingResources/WorkshopsTraining/Cancellations.aspx. If you have questions, please contact the Educational Services Office at (800) 452-8786 or (207) 623-8428 or firstname.lastname@example.org.