Somerset County - Office Manager for Registry of Deeds - Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found
Start Date: November 17, 2023 | End Date: May 15, 2024
County: Somerset County
Job Type: Manager
SOMERSET COUNTY POSITION DESCRIPTION
Department: Administration Job Title: Office Manager for Registry Of Deeds
Classification: Full Time salary exempt Office Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm Mon-Fri
Salary Range: To Be Negotiated (DOE) Total Hours: Full-Time 40 hours
To oversee the day-to-day operations for the Department of Registry of Deeds. Reports to the County Administrator.
The purpose of this position is to direct the workforce in the Registry of Deeds in accordance with the Employee Handbook and all policies and procedures set forth by the County in the Registry of Deeds; This includes training and development and records management. Ensure the County’s compliance with all federal, state, and local laws relating to the position. The Department Head shall perform all other related work as required or directed by the County Administrator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Budget preparation;
- Assists Auditor with information pertaining to the Deeds Office when required;
- Maintains tax and fee accounting records;
- Makes bank deposits, reconciles bank statements and makes payments to State and County as required;
- Maintains the real estate transfer tax records that are required by the State;
- Assists other employees as necessary in all of their duties;
- Keeps track of office supply inventory and orders supplies;
- Receives documents for recording, checks all documents for errors, and necessary recording information;
- Collects recording fees, transfer tax fees, all copy, fax and charge payments;
- Enters data on computer system;
- Processes documents and plans;
- Images documents and plans and prepares those images for processing;
- Checks original documents, e-record documents and plans to image for completeness and returns original documents as directed;
- Enters references on documents and computer as marginal notations;
- Assists with office correspondence, mail pick up and return;
- Verifies the work of other Registry employees;
- Responsible for making abstracts of real estate transfers that are sent to municipalities as required by statute and by policy;
- Provides assistance to the public and attorneys and others with respect to Registry matters and research of historical information;
- Performs clerical duties of the office including answering phones, typing, filing, making copies, faxing, etc.;
- Works on special preservation and recreation projects a needed;
- General cleaning of all work stations, computers and books;
- Updates computer verify, and prints various daily records;
- Assesses completed daily work;
- Prepares necessary documents for review and signature by the Elected Register of Deeds
The Department Head shall be involved in administrative tasks related to the hiring, firing, and discipline of all Registry of Deeds employees;
- Work as a member of a team in the performance of duties
- Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately
- Work as a team and foster good working relationships with all county staff, elected officials, committees and community leaders
- Perform required work in a timely manner with attention to detail so as to minimize errors
- Be neat and maintain a professional appearance
- Possess a valid Maine Driver’s License
- To understand and work within Somerset County Government Policies and Procedures, including union contracts
- To work collaboratively with various groups/committees as appropriate
- To accept shared responsibility with other employees to successfully accomplish the goals of each department
- Exercise good judgment in order to facilitate harmony and success in county operations
- Maintain confidentiality to protect the County’s interest whenever appropriate
- Serves as an integral part of the administrative team
- Collaborate with the County Administrator and HR Department to make management decisions in accordance with the Employee handbook and other County policies
- Support and assist the Register of Deeds in carrying out the duties prescribed for the position
- Contributes to team efforts by accomplishing related results as needed on an administrative level
- Supports the Department through planning, administration and leadership skills to further advance the vision for the Department of Registry of Deeds
- Budget preparation for presentation to the County Administrator and Commission
- Excellent communication skills and team building ability
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to maintain positive internal relations
- Ability to actively listen and implement conflict resolution as necessary
- Possess public relation/customer service skills
- Familiarity with laws pertaining to governmental management and personnel
- To interact in a positive and effective manner with personnel at all levels of authority.
- To demonstrate objectivity, sensitivity, and a balanced perspective regarding employee concerns and organizational expectations.
- To communicate clearly and concisely, in writing and orally.
- To maintain accurate and detailed records.
- To prepare and analyze comprehensive reports.
- Considerable interpersonal and public relation skills;
- Skill in operating PC computer and popular applications in word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, internet, and graphics.
Working Conditions and Job Hazards:
- Operate computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment.
- Make frequent contact with employees and officials, including County, State, and Federal agencies.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the candidate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform some of the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and use hands to operate a standard computer keyboard.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- This job description does not constitute an employment contract or agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as necessary to meet the needs of the County.